Office of Animal Welfare

New Investigators

If you are a New Investigator at the UW and wondering what you need to do to start a new Protocol at the UW this is the best place to start.

See below for a quick step-by-step guide for starting a new animal use Protocol.

How to Get Started

Step 1
: Determine if you need an IACUC Protocol
If you are uncertain, contact OAWRSS. If yes, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Call OAWRSS (206.685.7363) 
Once you have established that you need a protocol, call our office and provide the following information:

  • Name and Department
  • UW NetID
  • Species
  • General Description of the Project you are proposing
  • If there are/will be associated Grants

At this time, based on your information we will set you up with a Scientific Reviewer and Scientific Liaison that can assist you with getting started and throughout the duration of the protocol review process.

Step 3: Complete your Training
Before any animal work can be conducted on a project, all individuals involved must complete at least the following basic training’s:

  • Animal Use Medical Screening (Occupational Health Recommendations)
  • Animal Use Laws and Regulations

Species Specific Handling may also be required before animal work is conducted depending on the species you are working with.

Step 4: Create and submit your Protocol in HoverBoard.
When you are ready to start, create and submit your protocol in HoverBoard. OAWRSS staff will be available to assist you in getting started and will be in contact with you throughout the approval process.